If an ELD malfunction prevents the driver from presenting HOS to a safety official, the driver must:
- Note the malfunction of the ELD and provide written or electronic notification of the malfunction to the motor carrier within 24 hours;
- Reconstruct the record of duty status (RODS) for the current 24-hour period and the previous 7 consecutive days, and record the RODS on graph-grid paper logs that comply with 395.8, unless the driver already has the records or the records are retrievable from the ELD; and
- Continue to prepare RODS on paper a paper log in accordance with 49 CFR 395.8 until the ELD is back in compliance.
- Recording RODS on a paper log cannot continue for more than 8 days after the malfunction unless an extension is given in accordance with 49 C.F.R 395.34 – ELD Malfunctions and Data Diagnostic Events.
- A driver who records hours of service on a paper log for more than 8 days without proof of an extension from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration may be placed out of service.
Did this answer your question? If not, please email ELD@dot.gov or call 1-800-832-5660 for more information.
Last Updated : February 13, 2018