The mission of FMCSA's Office of Analysis, Research, and Technology is to reduce the number and severity of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) crashes and enhance the efficiency of CMV operation by:
- Providing data, producing statistics, and conducting systematic studies directed toward fuller scientific discovery, knowledge, or understanding, and
- Identifying, testing, and supporting technology transfer activities and deployment of CMV safety technologies.
- CMV Driver Restart Study
- Active Research Projects
- Publications & Reports
- Pocket Guide to Large Truck and Bus Statistics
- Safety Progress Reports
- Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts
- Transportation Research Board
- 2017 Pocket Guide to Large Truck and Bus Statistics
- Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts 2015 - PDF
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Restart Study Report to Congress
FMCSA is authorized to undertake its research, technology, and development efforts under 49 USC 31108, “Motor Carrier Research and Technology Programs.” Under 49 USC 31108, paragraph (a)(3)(C), FMCSA may fund research, technology, and development projects that improve the safety and efficiency of commercial motor vehicle operations through technological innovation and improvement.